Buckingham Palace announced the death of Prince Philip at just after midday today – and described the Queen's 'deep sorrow'
Daily Mail: Prince Philip dead at 99: Queen announces with 'deep sorrow' that husband the Duke of Edinburgh 'passed away peacefully at Windsor Castle' this morning – three weeks after he finished 28-night hospital stay for infection and heart surgery
* Her Majesty announced death of her husband of 73 years at midday today and joins 'the world in mourning'
* Philip was in Windsor after being treated for an infection and pre-existing heart condition for 28 nights
* Duke of Edinburgh had kept a low profile since conducting his final solo public engagement in August 2017
* After retiring, Philip spent much of his time at Windsor and at Queen's private Sandringham estate in Norfolk
* Duke was the longest-serving consort in British history and the oldest serving partner of a reigning monarch
* Philip was known for legendary gaffes and uncensored and politically incorrect opinions on various subjects
The Queen today announced with 'deep sorrow' the death of her husband Prince Philip at the age of 99, her 'strength and guide' throughout their 73-year marriage and her 69-year reign.
The Duke of Edinburgh spent his final days at Windsor Castle with his wife, who he lovingly called Lilibet throughout their long life together, after a 28-night stay in hospital having been admitted in mid-February for an infection and a pre-existing heart condition.
Her Majesty announced her husband's death at midday as the Union Flag was lowered to half-mast outside Buckingham Palace and on public buildings across the UK and Commonwealth.
The Royal Family said in a statement: 'It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen announces the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.
Read more ….
WNU Editor: He definitely lived an incredible life …. Obituary: HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh (BBC). More here …. The Duke of Edinburgh obituary (The Guardian), and here …. The extraordinary life of Prince Philip: Born on a kitchen table in Corfu, the prince with Danish, German, Russian and British blood who was carried into exile aged just one and overcame the trauma of an absent father and mother to fight for his country (Daily Mail).
More News On The Death Of Prince Philip
Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, dies aged 99 — The Guardian
Operation Forth Bridge begins: Queen enters 'eight days of mourning' as master plan for Philip's funeral that the Duke helped draw up himself is enacted but with Covid contingencies for royal ceremonial service and burial in Windsor and military procession — Daily Mail
A life in pictures – Prince Philip — The Guardian